9/27/2012

Favourite TV Shows


Fall is my favourite time of year. For one thing, cool-weather clothing is better at hiding my muffin top. For another, it marks the beginning of the new tv season! Yay! 

I love tv. There are so many great shows on the air now. There are some impossibly terrible ones, as well (you all just pictured Honey Boo Boo, didn't you?), but for right now, we're going to think like optimists and focus on the good



New Girl. Might as well get the obvious one out of the way first. Zooey Deschanel plays Jess, who moves in with three single dudes after a bad breakup, and hijinks ensue. Season 2 just began this week, and currently, we are all holding our breath while we wait for Nick and Jess to just make out already.  



Awkward. You know, when MTV catches on to something good, they really knock it out of the park. Isn't MTV responsible for publishing Perks of Being a Wallflower? Anyway, how to explain Awkward? Essentially, Jenna Hamilton has the worst day of her life, which culminates in everybody thinking she tried to kill herself, and, again, hijinks ensue. Do you remember that show from the late 90s called Popular? Awkward is basically the love child of Popular and Gilmore Girls, if you can imagine that.



Community. Oh, Community, you beautiful, polarizing thing. Community is the type of show that's so weird, you feel shocked whenever it occurs to you that other people like it too. If it's your type of humour and you "get it", it feels like it was written just for you. I can't even tell you what this show is about, beyond "a group of misfits at community college". The Hijinks-o-meter is off the charts with this one. One of the most entertaining things I've ever done in my life was go through the photos for this show on IMDB. I recommend that you do that, if you want to find out what the show is about without actually having to watch it, because nobody will ever do a better job of conveying how weirdly great this show is than that series of still photographs.



Girls. No hijinks here. Well... okay, there are still hijinks, but they're less wacky, and more cringeworthy, but you love it even while you're wishing they'd just make better choices, because dammit, you've made bad choices too. Like with Hannah and her on-again, off-again relationship with Adam. That man his wholly repulsive, but with a few redeeming qualities that keep Hannah coming back to him over and over and over again... just like you and your ex-boyfriend. Love it, hate it, love to hate it... whatever. Girls is awesome.
  


How I Met Your Mother. I can't believe this show has been on the air since 2005. Moreover, I can't believe I've been paying such devoted attention to a show that's been on the air since 2005. HIMYM is to me what Lost was to everyone else. I'm obsessed with the mystery of it. It was actually a little bittersweet watching the premiere of season 8 this week, knowing that it's the beginning of the end. I'm nervous about how they plan to end this series! I don't want them to just go, "And that's how I met your mother!" and leave it at that. But at the same time, I can't think of any other way. Come back to me in June, I guess, and we can talk about how I feel then. 

Turns out, I like more tv shows than I like movies, and it was a lot harder for me to cut this list down to just 5. And, as before, I still don't know how to end a blog post. Um... it's over! Byyyyye.

No comments:

Post a Comment