1/16/2013

R.I.P, New Girl.

Dear blog,

I'm sorry I haven't been writing. It's because I've been in mourning. See, this year, my favourite television show started to suck, and it created a void in the very depths of my soul. I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep.

Okay, it wasn't that bad, but I sure as hell couldn't sit through an episode of New Girl anymore. What happened to this show? Did any other ladies out there feel like they were personally punched in the gut by Zooey Deschanel after sitting through a handful of episodes this season? And, I mean, I tried. I really, really tried! I kept watching, week after torturous week, thinking, this is the episode that redeems this show! But no. That episode never came.

The last straw for me was last week's episode, in which Jess, a career-minded woman in her thirties with babies on the brain, is too nervous to spend a romantic weekend alone with her hot doctor boyfriend, so she invites Nick and his stripper girlfriend to tag along. Can't reconcile why an adult woman would do such a thing? Who cares? It doesn't have to make sense! Just laugh along as the gang swings hunting rifles around with wanton abandon, sees the green fairy after basically just inhaling the vapours from a bottle of absinthe, and rehashes a recent plot from How I Met Your Mother! Oh, but let's not forget the incredibly racist, throwaway subplot between Schmidt and Winston, wherein Schmidt decides that Winston is suffering from a lack of other black people in his life, and, naturally, they end up on the streets trying to score some crack. Hi-larious.

In season one, there was a great scene between Jess and Nick's lawyer girlfriend, Julia, where Jess goes on a tirade about how caring about baby animals and wearing a lot of polka dots doesn't mean that she's "not smart, and tough, and strong". I was basically on my feet applauding after that, because I like a lot of twee stuff too, and it bothers me that the world can't wrap its head around a woman who's both girlish and intelligent. Liking polka dot dresses doesn't mean you're stupid. You know what does mean you're stupid, though? Swinging a loaded hunting rifle around for no apparent reason. Also, insinuating that all black people like the same things, including crack cocaine.

So, yeah... as far as I'm concerned, that episode was the series finale. Sad trombone, Nick and Jess never got together.

Thank Maude for Lena Dunham, is the only other thing I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment